Read through or Download Below
Tips on Discursive Writing
Kids! So, this essay type is basically you providing some insight to the readers about a particular topic or issue, along with your opinion, to the readers.
Here’s how the structure should look like.
1. Introduction – Be a bit original.
- Puns/ Wordplay
- Introduce the area you want to write about
- IMPORTANT : At the end of the introduction state your stance/ Viewpoint/ Opinion
2. Point 1
- Main Point
- Evidence or an example or a story to prove the point
- Sometimes, different scenarios help to make a point clear
- Explore the different aspects that relate to your point – Brainstorm to help you with this, before beginning your essay.
3. Point 2 – Same as above
4. Point 3 – Same as above
5. Point against + Counter >> You may want to bring in a different opinion to make the essay more complete – you can assert your opinion, giving reasons as to why you hold on to your view
6. Concluding Paragraph.
Here’s how a discursive essay may be written – I will write down the topic sentences so you get an idea about how to structure your essays.
Topic – Is online school better than on-site school?
Intro – Speak of how Covid has changed our routines – and how school has completely changed, bringing in advantages and disadvantages. My opinion – Online school is not better.
Point 1 – Students have no morning routine and this may make them less prepared for the day: Mentally and Physically. I’ll give an example about how brushing teeth, washing, eating could be done late, and s this makes students less disciplined. And how sometimes they might come to class right after waking up – you could even briefly mention how one of your friends eats breakfast while class is going on.
Point 2 – No interaction/ Much less interaction between students. Talk on how its VERY important – social skills, especially in the age of so many social media platforms, this is very important. Friendships become weaker. Etc. Create a visual picture : ‘A student whose going through a tough time will no longer be able to sit under the Banyan tree in the school garden with his/her best friend and just pour out their hearts. They might be able to speak through technology, but it is never the same – you won’t get the warm embrace of your friend who understands and loves you no matter what.’
Point 3 – Less feedback in lessons – Can talk about how students may not get things clarified and sometimes teaching is not as effective as it used to be during regular lessons.
Point 4 – Now acknowledge that there are other perspectives – How it saves time, travel stress and expense, how you can spend more time with family, be in their presence >> Then counter it by saying how, despite these things, online education is not efficient and staying in front of screens for so long is detrimental to health.
Conclusion – You say that due to the reasons discussed above, Online education is not the best, even though there are many advantageous. You could also conclude, saying how, even when on-site education resumes again, online technology can be used to enhance it. END.
Features of Discursive Writing
1. Formal language
2. Use of second person to engage with the audience
3. Use of first person
4. Use of personal stories or wider reading to prove a point – make it convincing
5. Use of strong imagery
6. Figures of speech and originality
7. Humour in the right places
8. Rhetorical questions
FOR EXAMINATION Purposes
9. Varied sentence lengths and sentence types
10. Use different types of punctuation
11. Write enough of impressive words – show off your skills